To reserve a cottage a deposit of $100, $300 or $500 per cottage, depending on the cottage is required at the time of booking (“Rental Deposit”). There is a 2-night minimum stay for all cottage rentals and generally we only offer 7-night (Saturday to Saturday) rentals during the peak summer season.
We hope that once you book a reservation, you will not have to cancel, however we understand that on occasion changes in your schedule may occur. An Administrative Fee of $50 will apply to all cancellations.
Your Rental Deposit will be refundable (less the $50 administrative fee) for cancellations occurring more than 90 days in advance of your check in date for stays during our peak periods (typically July, August and major holidays) or more than 30 days in advance of your check in date for stays occurring during the rest of the year.
For stays during our peak season, cancellations that occur 90 days or less in advance of your check-in date will be forfeited. For bookings throughout the rest of the year, cancellations that occur 30 days or less in advance of your check in date will be forfeited.
COVID-19 update – In instances where the government imposes a stay-at-home order, travel ban or border closure within 30 days of check-in which directly impacts your ability to honour your reservation, Springwood will give you the option of having your deposit refunded (less a $50 administrative fee) or applied to a future booking within 1 year of your original booking without penalty.
Preauthorization security deposit of $250 per cottage is required on all cottage rentals (“Security Deposit”). This deposit is fully refundable, less any unpaid incidentals for services or convenience store items, at the end of your stay assuming no damage or theft of Springwood property. The Security Deposit will be refunded to you within 14- days of check out.
Check-in / Check-out
Check-in: After 3:00 p.m. eastern
Check-Out: Before 10:00 a.m. eastern
Alternative arrangements may be made if there are no guests checking out or in on your check in or check out dates respectively. Please contact us prior to your check in to discuss. Unauthorized same day late check-outs will be charged an additional day rental plus any damages or loss of income incurred by resort due to late check out.
All of our guest Cottages and public areas are designated as Non-Smoking. If evidence of smoking is found in a Cottage during a stay, or after check-out time has occurred, there will be a $250.00 fee + HST charged to the Guest.
We are pleased to welcome up to 2 furry friends in many of our units, and with some restrictions on where pets are allowed on the Resort. Pets must be pre-approved and a pet cleaning fee of $80+HST for 1 pet and $150+HST for 2 pets will be applied to the room charges. Any damages or additional cleaning required resulting from pets will be the charged to the guest. Any evidence of pets in non-designated Cottages or when not pre-approved may be subject to additional charges, above and beyond the standard pet cleaning fee.
Pets must always remain on a leash when outside of the cottage and must not be left unattended in the cottage unless they are in their crate and remain quiet. Owners are required to pick up after their pets and properly dispose of any fecal matter. Pets are not allowed on the beach at any time. Furthermore, guests are responsible for ensuring that their pets “play nice” and are well behaved. If you have concerns about your pet’s behaviour around other pets, children or adults, we ask that you find alternative arrangements for them during your stay.
Resort Rules and Procedures
Arriving at Springwood Cottages Resort:
We offer an advance contactless check-in process, whereby we will email you instructions for signing our rental agreement (and COVID screening online if applicable), paying your outstanding rental amount and providing the pre-authorized $250 security deposit as well as what you need to bring with you.
If you have not already done so prior to your arrival, then please proceed to the Main Office/Convenience Store to complete the necessary documentation and make payment arrangements for any outstanding balances you owe for your stay. If for some reason the Main Office is closed, please call 613-335-5333, so that we can meet you.
Visitors to Your Cottage:
With preapproval, and within reason, guests are permitted to invite additional visitors while staying at the resort. Guests are responsible to ensure that their visitors fully aware of, and follow Resort Policies, Rules, Regulations and Procedures. Prior to any visitor arrival, guests are asked to make arrangements with us, so that we can be sure everyone is accommodated appropriately. Each Cottage has a maximum number of people it can accommodate, and management may at its sole discretion determine the maximum capacity at each cottage.
Prices are as follows:
Day and overnight visitors: $50/person.
Week long visitors: $200/person.
Our on-site General Store hours of operation are from 11am-7pm daily in the summer months, although we may close briefly while attending to guest needs. If the sign has the Open sign up, we are open for business. If you have an emergency, please call 613-335-5333. During the rest of the year it is generally open between 11am-5pm.
Septic System (Toilets & Drains):
Unlike in the city, we use a septic system which is much more sensitive to abuse and overuse. Therefore, we supply each cottage with 1-ply toilet paper to use in order to help prevent the unpleasant and costly consequences of any potential septic issues. Please let us know at the convenience store if you need more and we will gladly supply it for you.
Please ensure that you do not under any circumstances dispose of any foreign object, including feminine hygiene products, contraceptives, personally supplied toilet paper, toys etc. Guests will be held responsible for any costs related to misuse of our septic system.
Should the power go out, the plumbing systems will not work. Please do not use (flush toilets, etc.) until power is restored. The resetting of the water system takes 15 to 20 minutes after power is restored to be back to full functionality.
Garbage / Recycling:
All garbage and specified recycled materials are to be properly disposed of as required throughout your stay and before checking out. Do not leave recycling or garbage inside or outside of your cottage. Closed labeled bins for garbage, tin, plastic and alcohol cans/bottle empties, are located at the top of the hill (near the entrance) behind the big workshop/garage. Place material inside the closed bins, and please do not leave garbage etc. on the ground outside of the bins.
- Garbage is to be collected and tied up properly in garbage bags provided. If you require more bags, please let us know.
Blue Bin Recycling (plastic aluminum & steel):
- Clean all food waste & beverage remnants from plastic, steel & aluminum containers before placing them in the blue bin in your cottage.
- Deposit contents of your blue bin into large blue bins at top of the hill as required and prior to checking out. Return your blue bin to your cottage.
- Materials accepted include:
- All plastic recycling items labelled with numbers 1-7
- Aluminum and steel food and beverage containers
- Paper cans with steel ends
- Plastic food and beverage containers including: Bottles, jars, tubs and lids, cartons, trays, clamshells, rigid packaging (blister packaging)
- Materials not accepted include:
- Boxboard, cereal and cracker boxes
- Paper and juice cartons (tetra packs)
- Glass of any kind
- Film plastic and plastic bags
- Alcohol empties - these go in separate bins (see below)
Beer/Alcohol bottles & cans (Green and Brown bins):
- We also have some brown bins for aluminum beer and cooler cans and a green bin for glass wine and liquor bottless at the top of the hill. Please separate from regular recycling and dispose in the appropriate bin.
- Proceeds collected from returning “empties” are donated to local charities.
No-Smoking or Vaping:
All cottages and public areas are designated as Non-Smoking. If evidence of smoking is found in a cottage during your stay, or after check-out occurs, there will be a $250 fee +HST applied to your bill.
Respect thy Neighbour, Staff & Environment:
We ask that all our guests please be considerate of each other and our staff during your stay with us. Keeping in mind things such as keeping the radio, television, or stereo to a moderate and reasonable level. We also ask that all our guests try to be sensible with their choice of words and use of offensive language. We do accommodate many families with young children.
- Resort Outside quiet hours are between 11pm-7am
- Bullying, harassment, discrimination of any sort will not be tolerated
- NO littering (paper, pop cans, pull-tabs, cigarette butts, etc.)
- NO defacing Springwood Cottages property in any way (writing on the walls, floors, ceilings, etc.)
- NO destruction of any kind to the natural environment surrounding us (no peeling bark off of trees, no cutting any trees, etc.)
- NO using shampoo or soap in our lake
- Please keep your cottage clean at all times, both inside and outside & ensure that upon departure you leave your cottage and its contents in the same general condition and state that it was upon arrival.
- Follow all posted COVID-19 guidelines, including mask wearing, social/physical distancing, hand washing & respecting capacity limits
- Turn off your cottage’s outdoor lighting when not in use, during the daytime hours and once you are in for the night
Beach & Playground:
Our beach and playground is NOT SUPERVISED; an adult must be present at all times. Please take note of the following beach regulations:
- Leave the beach area clean; daily and nightly (do not leave any garbage or personal belongings behind).
- Glass containers are not allowed on the beach, and are prohibited from all fire pits.
- No boats (including non-motorized boats like kayaks and canoes) permitted in the swimming area.
- No fishing in the swim area.
- No diving from the swim raft.
- No animals allowed on the beach.
Open (Bon) Fires:
Local bylaws require Open Fires be reported to the Fire Department. Consequently, please inform us prior to starting a bon fire so we can inform the Fire Department and ensure there is not fire ban in place as required by our fire permit. Also, fires are only allowed from two hours prior to sunset to two hours subsequent to sunset (roughly 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.). Failure to comply with the bylaws may result in a fine from the fire department up to $5,000.00 and up to a $500 fee plus damages by Springwood.
Open fires are only acceptable on the beach and at those cottages with private fire pits. We have campfire wood available free of charge. Never leave fire and children or pets unattended. And please put fire out before you leave or turn in for the night.
Fireworks are only permitted by law from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. on New Years Eve, Victoria Day, Canada Day, American Independence Day, Labour Day and three days before and after each of those holidays. If you wish to set off fireworks on these days, please check with management first and do so safely from our beach away from trees or other hazards and dispose of the casings that evening once its safe to do so. Setting off fireworks in undesignated places or on unauthorized days may result in a fine from the fire department, as well as a $500 fee plus damages by Springwood.
Gas / Flammable Items:
Some of our cottages are equipped with pellet stoves. Pellets for these stoves is provided at no additional cost. Do not use any other form of wood or flammable material in these stoves. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with starting your pellet stove, please do not hesitate to ask for assistance.
Due to insurance, environmental and safety concerns, we ask all guests, NOT to bring extra gas in portable jerry can containers. Gas and oil are available from our marine facility. We cannot allow portable jerry containers to be stored inside or outside of your cottage either. You are also prohibited from bringing any type of propane containers into the resort. We can provide you with these upon request. A $500 fee plus any damages will be applied to anyone who breaches the gas/flammable items policy.
Generally only one vehicle is allowed to be parked at each cottage. Please do not park your boat trailer in front of your cottage. It should instead be parked down in the marina area. Please do not block the main road with your car. We have additional parking at the marina area and at the main entrance parking lot if required. Vehicles parked at individual cottages in excess of one per cottage without Management expressed approval will be charged $50 + HST per day. Free parking is available in our main parking lot or at the marina for excess vehicles.
Docking & Docks:
- Please no docking at the beach, rock face or anywhere else other than boat docks.
- Fishing and loitering is prohibited on the marina boat docks. We have provided docks for your enjoyment that will allow fishing.
Marina – Watercraft Rentals & Services:
- Our on-site Marina is open from 9am-5pm daily in the summer months.
- Boat rentals should be made at least one day in advance.
- A security deposit of $100 is required at time of booking if non-Springwood guest. The security deposit is fully refundable if cancellation occurs more than 3 days in advance of reservation or if operator cancels.
- A damage deposit of up to $2,750, depending on the size of boat, is required for all boat and motor rentals.
- Guests who have an early morning boat rental, are asked to speak with Marina staff the day before to ensure arrangements are finalized.
- If your rental is scheduled to be picked up or dropped off outside of our hours of operation, additional details for pick up and return will be pre-arranged.
- Motorized boats are rented in by the day. The rental boats must be returned; by or before; the time period allotted; in order to avoid an additional service charge. Unauthorized late return services fees are at the discretion of management but may result in the loss of your damage deposit or part thereof depending on damages/loss of income incurred by operator.
- Addtional Marina fees:
- Service call on the lake (due to human error) – min. $100+HST service fee plus reasonable expenses
- Boat launch service using our staff and vehicle $25+HST (in and out of the water)
- Hydro usage for boat/vehicle battery chargers plugged into cottages or fish hut: $35+HST per week.
- Boat slip $60 per week or $35 per day
- Delivery of boat rental to Big Clear Lake is available for a fee. Please discuss with management for quote prior to booking.
Cottage rentals include access to our non-motorized kayaks, canoes, and SUPS at no additional cost, based upon availability, for up to 2 hours at a time. Guests may also rent our non-motorized boats/water toys for their exclusive use during their stay. These boats are also available to rent to the general public and are subject to a $250 damage deposit. Please see our Rates page for pricing.
Boating Safety & Laws:
Kennebec lake is monitored by the Ministry of Natural Resources and OPP law enforcement. Prior to operating a boat, please familiarize yourself with all boating and fishing laws and safety guidelines, including but not limited to the following rules, to ensure everyone has a fun and safe experience:
- Due to insurance, environmental and safety concerns, we ask that all guests not bring extra gas in portable jerry can containers. We have gas and oil available, as well as on-lake services.
- All persons in a boat are required BY LAW; to wear life preservers. (Available upon request at the Marina)
- As a reminder it is illegal to have open alcohol on a boat and drivers must not be impaired or under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including cannabis.
- When operating a boat, it is mandatory to stay at least 100 feet away from all shorelines or 150 feet if the water level is low.
- An adult must accompany children when on the docks and when riding in any type of watercraft.
- Boats must have a dedicated spotter if towing tubers, water skiers etc.
- Boats (including non-motorized) are not permitted in swimming areas, including our beach.
- We suggest that all boaters familiarize themselves with the lake by taking a slow ride around the lake prior to engaging in tubing or other high speed boating activities.
- Failure to adhere to all boating and fishing laws, may result in a ticket, fine or much worse consequences.
Water & Land Toys:
We have a number of water and land toys available for guest usage. Kayaks, Canoes, Pedal Boats and SUPs may only be borrowed for a maximum of 2 hours at a time. Bikes and other outside “toys” and games may be borrowed from the Outdoor Share Shed located by the Marina. We ask that guests return these within 4 hours of borrowing so other guests may enjoy them too.
Indoor “toys”, including puzzles, books, DVDs and table-top games may be borrowed from our Indoor Share Shed located near the Convenience Store. Please return these with all pieces and in good condition promptly when you are done with them so other guests may enjoy them.
If you notice any damage or pieces missing, please notify us, so that we may remedy.
Fishing & Fish Hut:
By law, you are required to always carry your fishing license with you when fishing. Those who are fishing are responsible for familiarizing and adhering to local fishing limits imposed by the Ministry of Natural Resources. We also ask that you be respectful of our lake by not over-fishing. The more fish left in the lake ensures more fish next year.
Please adhere to the following when cleaning fish that you catch, failure to do so will result in a clean up penalty fee, each and every time (please see rates page for fees):
- Please do not put any garbage or fish scales outside. All scraps, scales, etc., must be put in sealed plastic bags and stored in the freezer prior to disposing in the main garbage bins.
- When cleaning fish for freezing and transporting, please leave enough skin or scales on the fish to be able to recognize its species to avoid any problems arising with the Ministry of Natural Resources.
- Freezer or fridge is only for well packed fillets; please do not store fresh fish in it.
Please do not clean fish in cottages – use the fish cleaning hut.
Please clean up after yourself once you have finished. Failure to do so will result in a clean-up fee, each and every time.
As a reminder, we ask guests to check out by 10:00am, unless a later time was agreed upon prior to your check-in. Your prompt departure is appreciated, as it helps us properly prepare for the next set of guests. Unauthorized late check outs will result in additional fees based upon damages/loss of income incurred by Springwood.
For contactless check out, please call 613-335-5333 to advise us of your departure and to make arrangements for payment of any outstanding balances owed.
As a reminder, upon departure, please:
Check to ensure that you haven’t left anything behind
Leave the key hanging on the hook by the door and all remotes on the coffee table
Return any games or items that were borrowed from the share sheds
Leave your cottage in the same general condition that it was upon your arrival; and
Dispose of all garbage (in and outside of your cottage) in the closed disposal bin behind the workshop.
We are new owners of Springwood Cottage Resort, this resort is not only a business, but also our home, and we consider you to be our guests, not customers. We take great pride in our home and spend a lot of time focussed on maintenance and upkeep. We hope that you will respect our home and its property and that your stay with us is enjoyable and provides you with many memories for years to come. If there is anything that will make your stay more pleasant, please do not hesitate to ask.
Finally, if you have enjoyed your time, please tell your friends and share your pictures and reviews on social media, if there is something not to your liking, please speak with us first to give us an opportunity to rectify it.
Christine, Ed and the Staff of Springwood Cottage Resort